1. Make your Hotel Reservations - Now!!!!!
2. Register for the Conference – Now!!! Early bird discount ends 31 March 2008.
3. Plan your travel – will you fly, drive, take the train -- yes AMTRAK goes to Kansas City! You may be able to find bargains on airfare with early planning.
4. Plan a few extra days for researching in nearby State repositories ---Just to start your planning, the mileage to 10 great repositories is listed below :
- Missouri State Archives – Jefferson City, MO <>
- Missouri State Historical Society – Columbia, MO <>
- Kansas State Historical Society and Archives – Topeka, KS <>
- Nebraska State Historical Society – Lincoln, NE <>
- Iowa - State Historical Society of Iowa – Des Moines, IA <>
- The National Genealogical Society collection is housed in St. Louis at the St. Louis County, Library <>
- Illinois State Archives – Springfield, IL <>
- Oklahoma State Archives - Oklahoma City, OK <>
- Arkansas History Commission – Little Rock, AR <325>
- Minnesota Historical Society – St. Paul, MN <>
- Colorado State Archives – Denver, CO <>
5. Check out tour guides for other things to do – shopping, jazz, great restaurants, history, art, other conventions, visit friends / relatives, resorts, visit Branson and so much more.
6. If you plan to do some research – organize your work and make a list of documents you want to find. Find out when various libraries, courthouses and other repositories are open.
7. Study maps of the area to plan your side trips.
8. Plan your conference wardrobe – be sure to dress comfortably and in layers. The weather can be variable in May so you will want to bring some clothes for both warm and cool days. Bring comfortable shoes.
9. Some other things you might want to bring with you if you are going to be doing any research --- research checklist, magnifying glass, laptop or genealogy forms / charts to record information, maps
10. Bring your camera, batteries, charger, film, etc.
Most important -- Rest before you leave so you are in top shape for four great days at NGS 2008!!