Is there anything else to do in Kansas City? The answer to that question is YES!!!! There is so much else for those of you, who want to spend time doing something other than genealogy. In case you are not familiar with the area here are some ideas that might not come to mind.
· Powell Gardens – a perfect place for those of you who love flowers, trees and other plants
· Nelson – Atkins Art Museum – you should not miss this if you are an art enthusiast
· Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art – new and unique art
· Kansas City Blues and Jazz – for evening entertainment you may want to find a local night spot to listen to some great music. There is an article in Wikipedia that lists some of the favorite spots http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_blues_(music)
· For those bringing children
o Science City – this is a fun place for children and adults
o Kansas City Zoo
o Oceans of Fun and Worlds of Fun
· History Buffs - the National Agricultural Hall of Fame is in the Kansas City metro area and has interesting things for adults and children or how about a drive 75 miles NE to historic Jamesport, Missouri and visit the Amish. If you don’t have time to drive that far, St. Joseph, Missouri is only 45 miles from Kansas City and has several interesting museums including the Pony Express Stable, the Patee House Museum and the Jesse James home as well as the Robidoux Row Museum.
· Antiquing – if you like to shop for antiques there are many great stores in the area. One of the best places to go is the historic town of Weston. Much of this historic town has been turned in to antique stores. Another great place is the River Market Antique Mall.
· Sports – If you are interested in sporting events you might consider checking schedules for the Kansas City Royals, Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, Woodlands Racetrack, NASCAR or spend some time at one of Missouri’s lakes for fishing and water sports.
· Theater / Concerts – The Broadway musical Wicked will be playing in Kansas City, MO or check out the schedules at some of the other local theaters including Starlight Theater, Kansas City Repertory Theater, New Theater Restaurant or the Unicorn Theater.
Watch the blog for information about places to eat and shop in Kansas City.